Difference between revisions of "1.5.3 Release"
(Created page with "__NOTOC__ Category:Announcements __NOTOC__ Category:News The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of development release 1.5.3, another major milestone on...")
Revision as of 08:49, 29 November 2016
The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of development release 1.5.3, another major milestone on the way to Scribus 1.6.0.
Most important changes
- The most important change isn't immediately visible, namely a completely rewritten text layout engine, which supports complex scripts like Arabic, Hindi or Thai. Altogether, about 500 languages and/or scripts are being supported. Please note that as of version 1.5.3 Scribus is supposed to render these diverse writing systems, which needs thorough testing by those who are familiar with them. The necessary tools to edit and mix them will be added in a later version. Vertical writing systems aren't supported either for the time being, but support will be added in a later release.
- An import filter for Krita's KRA-Format has been added.
- Scribus now follows the XDG standard for configuration files.
- A longstanding problem with the launch option for an external image editing program has been resolved. Until version 1.5.3 it was necessary to manually close the external program before it could be started again from within Scribus. This is no longer necessary.
- Countless bugs, mostly introduced with the new features in 1.5.x have been fixed.
- As of version 1.5.3, the minimum Qt version to compile the program is 5.5.
- harfbuzz and libicu, as well as the related development packages are now required.
Following the release of version 1.5.3, the Scribus Team will focus on an overdue re-design of the user interface by implementing "Indigo Dock", an independently devepoled and flexible replacement for the outdated Properties Palette (http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,1617.150.html), as well as completing the implementation of CTL (complex text layout) features introduced in 1.5.3, including advanced OpenType features.
Primary Download Locations
- Installation packages for Windows, Mac OS X, a Linux AppImage and the source code are available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.2/
- Fedora and CentOS RPMs: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs
- OpenSUSE, SLED, and SLES RPMs: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs
- Packaging for other Linux distributions, *BSD, Solaris and OpenIndiana is beyond our influence. We recommend updating the respective repository data on a regular basis.
- Windows Portable App: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/scribus_portable#test
The Scribus Team would like to thank Anduin.net and Modirum for their continued hosting of all of the Scribus websites.
We are grateful to the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie and Linux New Media (Germany) for sponsoring.
The Scribus Team is also honored to have Resene Colours (New Zealand), dtp studio Oldenburg (Germany), Scientific Illustration Services Corp. (USA), the Newspaper Association of America (USA), Software Consulting Services (USA) and freieFarbe (Germany) as Special Supporters and donors of color palettes and other content since the 1.4.x release, just like we are grateful to the owner of Vector Portal for the permission to distribute some of his work as Scribus Templates.
Porting Scribus to OS/2 and eComStation is being supported by Mensys BV (The Netherlands) and Serenity Systems (USA).
Finally, the Scribus Team would like to thank the many end users, translators, testers and contributors who helped us with this release.