The Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of the stable development version 1.5.5. Unlike previous versions of 1.5.x, changes in this version have taken place mostly under the hood and include a huge refactoring effort to make the code easier to read and better maintainable. They also result in significant speed improvements. In addition, many bugs have been fixed, the most noticeable ones being related to the new text engine and its handling of complex scripts.
- The most important new feature is the possibility to search for a particular function, like one can in GIMP, G'MIC or Photoshop. If possible, the new dialog also shows the menu path.
- Fonts that have been rejected are now being listed in a separate tab in the Document Setup / Preferences dialogs, so users who know that a certain font has been installed on their system know why it doesn't show up in the font selectors.
- Tool tips have been added to entries in font selectors, so as to enable users to quickly identify the names of, for instance, symbol fonts.
- It's now possible to use Scribus with a dark UI color scheme.
- Many new Scripter commands and updates to the Scripter documentation
- Improvements to the support of complex scripts in various areas (hyphenation, numbering)
- Updates to import and export filters
- Updates to ensure Scribus will run as expected on the latest versions of Windows 10 and Mac OS X
- The user interface has been refined and improved in some areas.
The complete changelog is available here: https://bugs.scribus.net/changelog_page.php?version_id=106
Primary Download Locations
- Installation packages for Windows, Mac OS X, a Linux AppImage and the source code are available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.5/
- Packaging for particular Linux distributions, *BSD, Solaris and OpenIndiana is beyond our influence. We recommend updating the respective repository data on a regular basis.
- Windows Portable App: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/scribus_portable#test
|OS X 10.14 or higher, Intel x64||scribus-1.5.5.dmg||42426b1bf21a1eafc5e5c442e81ca77cec65b83751c8fdcd4f9b258c47063f3b||5d9060ff6778b915d7c174422e898f69c063b1e5|
|OS X 10.13 or higher, Intel x64||scribus-1.5.5_1013.dmg||dba7842bf3313c0a2c758a9d8613a7f881774008c10ea1e0445b34b020f6bbbe||8a0790fa936d8f29cbebba12fe9e34e3b5ea3dfe|
|Windows 32/64 Bit||scribus-1.5.5-windows.exe||b5f57c1a03f26c9b5a4086f051f54aed221d8d0567a33f7b1ce7248f908fd996||8503f1dad514cf94b1770ebfd38261a6485cd18e|
|Windows 64 Bit||scribus-1.5.5-windows-x64.exe||5783f9c8497ef740101f325bfbd2206b42ccc25a1cbbb7db33bf5e7334a3f880||7080cb4f62f06ec6898f59e99761987d959c70d7|
|Linux 64 bit AppImage ||scribus-1.5.5-linux-x86_64.AppImage||2dea77be921e5afd8ac8bd43cc680fee402751e440f5fcdc0098fcb7d5806cc6||8a344086525e8c81c8703cb09adb588efc51d674|
|Windows PortableApps.com Format||ScribusPortable_1.5.5.paf.exe|
The Scribus Team would like to thank Anduin.net and Modirum for their continued hosting of all of the Scribus websites.
We are grateful to the Organisation Internationale de la Francophonie for sponsoring.
The Scribus Team is also honored to have Resene Colours (New Zealand), dtp studio Oldenburg (Germany), Scientific Illustration Services Corp. (USA), the Newspaper Association of America (USA), Software Consulting Services (USA), freieFarbe e.V. (Germany), bauwerk Kommunikationsdesign (Germany) as Special Supporters and donors of color palettes and other content since the 1.4.x release, just like we are grateful to the owner of Vector Portal for the permission to distribute some of his work as Scribus Templates.
Porting Scribus to OS/2 and eComStation is being supported by Serenity Systems (USA).
Finally, the Scribus Team would like to thank the many end users, translators, testers and contributors who helped us with this release.