Here is documentation about the current scripting component in Scribus:
- Scripter API -- Routines which can be used in scripts to control Scribus
- Databases -- Scripts can interact with database software like MySQL or SQLite
This wiki is capable of letting users download raw code embedded into the pages and have it appear syntax highlighted.
- So as to cite python script code with proper syntax hilight, use the following tag <syntaxhighlight lang='python'> instead of using the usual HTML tag <pre>.
- See example and other possible tags : Wikitext for Raw Code Download
Note : A new script engine is currently being integrated into Scribus. The next steps will be to get the script engine to work (should already be ok), get the editor to work, revise the structure of the API, add new functions to the API and mostly : port scripts to the new scripter. See Scripter NG non-complete documentation about architecture
Pure Python Functions
The open() function is a pure python function and does not involve any Scribus code. Here are some pages with advices on how to handle unicode file names in python:
The string returned by the Scribus fileDialog() function is always Unicode UTF-8 encoded.
If file is not closed after python error within Scribus: This is up to you to handle python exceptions, Scribus cannot do that in your place
This section contains snippets you can use to create your own scripts.
- reading a file
- updating a status bar
- selecting a frame
- pausing the screen update
Here is a script template with all setups. Use it as a starting point for writing your own script, fill in your application specific code. script template main(). There is also a template called boilerplate.py within Scribus Script directory.
You might also check out scriptmaker.py, a Python script to run outside of Scribus to make the beginnings of a script that only runs inside of Scribus!
The content is on another page, since this one has gotten a bit out of control in terms of its size.
Iterate over all elements on a page
page = 1 pagenum = scribus.pageCount() content =  while (page <= pagenum): scribus.gotoPage(page) d = scribus.getPageItems() for item in d: // do something page += 1
Get content like text from a frame
content =  d = scribus.getPageItems() for item in d: if (item == 4): contents = scribus.getAllText(item) if (contents in content): contents = 'Duplication, perhaps linked-to frame' content.append(contents) elif (item == 2): imgname = scribus.getImageFile(item)
- ItemType1 = 1,
- ImageFrame = 2,
- ItemType3 = 3,
- TextFrame = 4,
- Line = 5,
- Polygon = 6,
- PolyLine = 7,
- PathText = 8,
- LatexFrame = 9,
- Multiple = 99
Auto-Output all Scripter Commands
From Scribus User http://meiradarocha.jor.br Mailinglist Feb. 2012
The output for this script is collected in Automatic Scripter Commands list.
d = dir(scribus) for j in d: try: exec 'res = '+j+'.__doc__' if res[0:5] == 'float': print '\nCONSTANT:\n',j,'\nVALUE: float' exec 'print '+j+'\n' elif res[0:5] == 'int(x': print '\nCONSTANT:\n',j,'\nVALUE: integer' exec 'print '+j+'\n' elif res[0:5] == 'tuple': print '\nTUPLE:\n',j,'\nVALUE:' exec 'print repr('+j+')\n' elif res[0:4] == 'str(': print '\nSTRING:\n',j,'\nVALUE:' exec 'print repr('+j+')\n' else: print '\nFUNCTION:\n'+j+'\n\nSYNTAX:' print res except: pass
- Objects: Images -- Example Scripts that manipulate images in a Scribus document
This content has been moved to a separate page to reduce the enormity of this one.
Scripts which give you ideas how you can solve your tasks.
- Poor man's mail merge
- Enlarge2Page - Enlarge an object to the size of the page.
- Making Guides at an Object's Borders
- Using the new applyMasterPage() command
- Swap Images
- Creating Text Frames for Image Captions
- Horizontal Rule over Text Frame
- Creating an Object-sized Document
- Translation helper
Full functional scripts
Scripts that are ready for achieving specific tasks
Scripting new Scribus' functions
Scripts which sketch new features which may be included in future releases of Scribus
- Project manager : create a book out of several parts documents, manage common format and styles, search across parts...
Extension scripts and PyQt
- Web optimised PDF — learn how to minimize PDF size, make your life easier with the included Perl script (runs outside of Scribus)
- Imagemagick Imposition – a bash script doing simple imposition of PNG files exported from Scribus
- Printing_4-up_tickets_to_hard_copy_printer Shows a) automatic numbering in text boxes and b) hard-copy printing from script
- Using createParagraphStyle
- Text and Text Manipulation
- Alessandro Rimoldi's blog series on scripter functions - a_l_e's blog
- Windows Full Python Integration
Pages in category "Scripts"
The following 103 pages are in this category, out of 103 total.
- A Standard Form with Barcodes and Custom Entries
- Adding 'DRAFT' to a document
- Adjust a text frame to fit its content
- Advanced Graphing
- Align an Image in its Frame
- Align to left page margin
- Apply basic ligatures to a document
- Applying a Frame Style
- Automatic import of images from a directory using a script
- Automatic import of images: Versions not requiring Tkinter
- Automatic story formatting
- Automatically Creating a Graph
- Centering text vertically in a frame
- Clean-up the imported text based on the Slovak typographic rules
- Color Chart
- Convert all colors to CMYK
- Convert RGB imported colors to CMYK
- Convert RGB value to Hex
- Convert Typewriter Quotes to Typographic Quotes
- CopyObject() and pasteObject()
- Create tables out of csv data
- Creating a Graph, Part 2
- Creating a TOC with Scripter
- Creating Markers - another version
- Creating Markers for positioning and cutting
- Image crop, resize and CMYK conversion. Save and reload in TIFF format
- Image crop, resize and color conversion GUI
- Image Wizard Advanced
- Image Wizard: Scale and Align an Image
- Imagemagick Imposition
- Import an image in the way office-programs do
- Import CSV Data
- Importing addresses from a text file
- Infobox in column
- Scale an Image to Fill a Frame Proportionally
- Scrambling Text
- Scribus Generator
- Scribus xhtml using Scripter
- Scribus XML using Scripter
- Script Resize selected objects
- Scripter API
- Scripter Architecture
- Scripter Security
- Setting Text Distances from a Script
- Shifting All Page Objects
- Split Image Across Gutter