Difference between revisions of "File formats that should be supported by Scribus (wish list)"
|Line 145:||Line 145:|
Revision as of 07:00, 19 December 2013
Below is a list of file formats users think should be supported by Scribus. This doesn't mean that they will be actually supported, but the list will save numerous bug reports/RFEs. Feel free to add your suggestions.
- FrameMaker Interchange Format (MIF). The spec is available (PDF) from Adobe.
InDesign Exchange files (INX)ABANDONED
- InCopy Markup Language (ICML).
InDesign Markup Language (IDML)(fschmid) DONE
- InDesign Document (INDD) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
- InDesign Template (INDT) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
- InDesign Book (INDB) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
Microsoft Publisher (PUB).(fschmid) DONE
- PageMaker Document (PM*) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
- PageMaker Template (PMT) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
- PageStream (PGS). A file format spec is available here
- QuarkXPress Document (QXD) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
- QuarkXPress Template (QXT) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
- QuarkXPress Project (QXP) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
- QuarkXPress Book (QXB) – reverse-engineering in progess (external)
- QuarkXPress Tags – documentation available here and here (PDF) (fschmid) IN PROGRESS
- Quark QXML files. No spec available.
- Serif PagePlus PPP files (the new XML-based version). No spec available.
VivaDesigner XML files(fschmid) DONE
Xara Page & Layout Designer (XAR)(fschmid) DONE
- AbiWord (initial, but maybe outdated info here and here. Contact the AbiWord developers for further information)
- AmiPro/WordPro (KWord has an import filter for SAM files, OO.o can import LWP files). See also here.
- Apple Pages *Basic documentation that may be sufficient for usable text import filters can be found here).
- AppleWorks (libmwaw provides import filters for most or all pre-OS X word processor formats used on Apple's platform).
- Applix Word (KWord and AbiWord have an import filter for AW files). See also here and here.
- DocBook (AbiWord has an import filter for XML and DBK files). References can be found here and here.
- KWord *KWord is now Calligra Words and uses Open Document as its default format, so *.kwd has become a legacy format. (AbiWord has an import filter for KWD files). See also here.
- LaTeX (might be possible via plasTeX to DocBook)
- MHTML (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHTML, http://people.dsv.su.se/~jpalme/ietf/mhtml.html)
- Better MS Word import (formatting, styles) via wvWare
- Microsoft Compiled HTML Help Files (CHM) via CHMLIB. See: http://code.google.com/p/htmlhelp/wiki/CHM
- MS DOCX (Libre Office and Calligra Words have DOCX importers)
- MS Works (using libwps)
- MS Write (AbiWord has an import filter for WRI files.) See also here.
- Papyrus: No public spec available. Ask R.O.M. Logicware for the necessary information.
StarOffice Writer 3x-5x (AbiWord has an import filter for sdw files). Basic information can be obtained here and here.ABANDONED
- TextMaker: No public spec available. Ask Softmaker for the necessary information (They will answer!).
- WordPerfect: See http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/
- Corel Photopaint (CPT) – CPT files are based on TIFF, so that an import filter shouldn't be hard to write, according to Boudewijn Rempt.
GIMP (XCF) – The GIMP developers have specifically recommended against using XCF as an interchange or import as some of the format relies on GIMP internals. Export TIFF or PNG.DONE (GSoC 2008, GraphicksMagick)
- IMG/IMG GEM (still used by Corel Ventura Publisher)
Kodak Photo CD See here.DONE (GSoC 2008, via GraphicksMagick)
- Krita (KRA): According to Boudewijn Rempt from Krita, "the pixel data is 64x64 blocks of as many bytes as needed for a pixel, and the rest is xml and self-explanatory."
Apple PICT(fschmid) DONE
- Open Raster (ORA) -- Once a reliable spec is available ... (See: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/OpenRaster)
PaintBrush Image (PCX)DONE (GSoC 2008, GraphicksMagick)
- PaintShop Pro (GIMP has an import filter), See here, here and here.
- Picture Publisher
Sun RasterfileDONE (GSoC 2008, GraphicksMagick) Truevision Targa (TGA/VDA/ICB/VST)DONE (GSoC 2008, GraphicksMagick)
- WebP See here
Windows Bitmap (BMP, RLE)DONE (1.3.9+)
Acorn Draw (AFF)DONE (GSoC 2008; UniConvertor) Adobe Illustrator(fschmid) DONE Autocad Drawing Exchange Format (DXF)DONE (GSoC 2008; UniConvertor) Calamus Vector Graphics (CVG)(fschmid) DONE Computer Graphics Metafile (CGM)(fschmid) DONE Corel DrawDONE (GSoC 2008; UniConvertor) Corel Presentation Exchange FormatDONE (GSoC 2008; UniConvertor)
- Dia (See http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/dia/trunk/doc/)
DXFDONE (GSoC 2008; UniConvertor)
- Enhanced Metafile - libEMF is a LGPL library.
- Karbon14 (KARBON) from KOffice
- KChart (CHRT) from KOffice
- Kivio (FLW)
- Macromedia/Adobe FreeHand. See: libfreehand
- Micrografx/Corel Designer (DSF)
Micrografx Draw (DRW)(fschmid) DONE
- OpenDocument charts (ODC)
- OpenDocument Graphics (ODG) – The current import filter is very basic and needs an update.
Open XML Paper Specification (OXPS)(fschmid) DONE Apple PICT(fschmid) DONE Hewlett-Packard Graphics Language (PLT)DONE (GSoC 2008; UniConvertor) StarOffice Draw 3x-5x – Use OO.o code? --C schaefer 02:19, 16 February 2008 (CET)ABANDONED Skencil/Sketch/sK1 (SK and SK1)DONE (GSoC 2008; UniConvertor)
- MS Visio (vsd) and Visio XML (vdx). See libvisio, supporting all versions of Visio by now.
- MS Visio Stencils, i.e.: clipart (VSS/VSX) Supported by libvisio.
WebCGM (CGM)(fschmid) DONE Windows Metafile(jghali) DONE WordPerfect Graphics(fschmid) DONE Xara Xtreme (XAR)(fschmid) DONE Xfig (FIG)(fschmid) DONE XML Paper Specification (XPS)(fschmid) DONE
- Comma Separated Values (CSV). Implemented for text frames but not for tables.
- MS Excel (XLS). http://libxls.sourceforge.net/ provides the necessary functions.
- Gnumeric (GNM, GNUM, GNUMERIC).
- Office Open XML (XLSX)
- OpenDocument Spreadsheet (ODS)
- OpenOffice.org spreadsheet (SXC)
- PlanMaker (PMD)
- Quattro Pro (QWP)
- Swatches (see the format documentation)
- Adobe formats (ACB, ACBL, ACF, ACO, ACT, ASE, BCF, CLR) (fschmid) IN PROGRESS ACB and ACO done.
- AutoCAD (ACB) (fschmid) DONE
- Corel formats (CPL, PAL)
Generic (EPS, AI)(fschmid) DONE GIMP (GPL)(fschmid) DONE OpenOffice.org (SOC)(fschmid) DONE
- PageStream Color Library
- Quark (QCL)
- Swatchbooker (SBZ)
VivaDesigner (XML)(fschmid) DONE
- Xara Palettes (JCW)
GIMP gradients (GGR)(fschmid) DONE
- OpenDocument gradients (SOG) (fschmid) IN PROGRESS
- Photohop gradients (GRD) (fschmid) IN PROGRESS
- Illustrator gradients (AI/EPS)
- Illustrator vector patterns (AI/EPS)
- Photoshop patterns (PAT)
GIMP patterns (PAT)(fschmid) DONE
- OpenDocument hatching (SOH)
- OpenDocument pattern table (SOB)
- Illustrator Symbol libraries (AI, EPS)
- Apple Keynote
- OpenOffice.org Presentation
- OpenDocument Presentation
- PowerPoint 95
- PowerPoint 97-2003
- StarOffice Impress 3x-5x
The difficulty with presentation file formats is they often have embedded objects beyond the native graphics.
- ChordPro (see http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=3408)
- InDesign Proof Profiles (IDPP)
Page Description Formats
DTP Exchange Formats
- XPress Tags
- ePUB (a-l-e) IN PROGRESS