GSOC 2014 Ideas
This is the place for ideas regarding GSOC 2014. They have been sorted by difficulty: "Simple" means that choosing one idea won't be enough, and an applicant needs to tackle at least three of those to be considered. In the category "Medium" at least two ideas must become part of a potential GSOC project. Picking up an idea from the "High" category could be enough to qualify, although it may be necessary to add an idea from "Simple". "Demanding" will be definitively enough for a single project, but applicants need to prove their skills before they can be considered.
- Fix bugs in existing import filters.
- CVS importer for Scribus tables.
- Rewrite/update the SXD and ODG importers.
- Rewrite/update the SXW and ODT importers.
- Update the Text Filter code to reflect the new features of Scribus.
- Create ODT export filter for formatted text.
- Clean up the UI of the Picture Browser and add tooltips.
- Improve the Table functionalities.
- Create RTF import and export filters (formatted Text only).
- Update/improve the existing export filters for SVG and EPS and integrate them with PDF into a single export dialog.
- XPS/OXPS exporters.
- PDF/A and PDF/X-5 exporter.
- Create import filters for SXC and ODS spreadsheet files.
- Create import filter for XLS and XLSX spreadsheet files.
- Add support for advanced typographic functions for European languages (e.g. user-defined kerning tables), including automatic OTF features.
- Add support for Arabic and Hebrew typesetting, including bidrectional text.
- Add support for CJK typesetting.
- Rewrite the Story Editor.
- Colour-managed bitmap export (including spot colours).