How to code new features
How to code new features and cure bugs !
How to join
Outside the core dev team, several people are involved in coding for scribus. You can join them if you have C++ and QT Skills and want to fix some bugs or improve Scribus features.
Ways to Connect
Discussions sometimes take place on IRC (#scribus chan on freenode).
The scribus-dev email discussion list is sometimes used too, and could probably be used more intensely since it gathers all devs.
Propose Your Code
The best way to propose code for scribus is to develop it on a dedicated GIT repository that is available for contributors. Documentation can be found here Git. Reading access to the repo is public. You can get a writing access to the repo : have a ssh key ready and ask Malex.
Once you have your branch created, keep it up to date with the svn trunk (that is more or less regularly mirored in the GIT 'trunk' branch), and develop your code there. Document it and ask for testers to test your code when required. When some of your code is perfectly fine, create a diff and propose your patch on the bug tracker.
Hints on how to code
- You got to get the code and compile it. There are several howtos on this wiki i.e. Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake
- Scribus 'plugins' (which are staticaly compiled) are a possible way to implement new features.
- QTCreator and QTDesigner are nice tools.
- To begin with, you could look at the tracker and find easy to solve bugs.
- Document your code. Scribus code base is not documented a lot. Please do document your code.