Installing Scribus 1.3.4.x or lower from CVS sources on Mac OS X/Aqua
|Installation • Usage • PDF issues • Imposition • Other|
Thanks to Andreas Vox and Craig Ringer, recent Scribus compiles straight from CVS on Mac/Aqua. Andreas Vox periodically delivers updated preview binary bundles which can be simply dropped into the system — please download it from aqua.scribus.net. If some daring alpha testers use it and report all errors to the Scribus bug submission website, we might have a fully functional Aqua version when 1.3.0 final comes out. :-)
Scribus 1.3.0cvs is not for production use. The current build on Mac/Aqua has some problems of its own:
- It's slow (Part of this may be to do with menus, part is the sub-optimal canvas code)
- Dialogs behave strangely (no close button, menu disappears, ...)
- Focus problems with Edit mode (use toolbar button instead of double-click)
- Aqua buttons need more space than X11 ones, that causes layout problems, notably with the page selector.
- Needs a special freetype build to access native Mac fonts.
- It's not really tested, so there may be much more.
What to do
1. Install Qt/Mac (not the X version!)
2. Install Freetype 2. We recommend to build it yourself with "./configure --enable-old-mac-fonts"
3. Install Fontconfig 2
4. Check that "freetype-config" and "pkgconfig fontconfig" report those libraries.
5. Install libart, lcms, libtiff, libjpeg, and libpng via fink.
6. Checkout Scribus 1.3 from cvs or use a snapshot
7. Set some environment variables: QTDIR=/absolut/path/to/qt/dir CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/lib LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib export CPPFLAGS LDFLAGS QTDIR
8. run "make -f Makefile.cvs"
9. unpack the Scribus.app skeleton
10. run "./configure --enable-mac --enable-bundle --enable-debug \ --prefix=/absoute/path/to/Scripus.app/Contents/ \ --with-extra-libs=/sw/lib --with-extra-includes=/sw/include" ** --enable-debug is mandatory since ld chokes on '-s' when linking modules ** either CPP/LDFLAGS or --extra-include/libs might be superflous but I didn't try that 11. make 12. make install 13. open Scribus.app :-)
You can also do it the old way: - leave out "--enable-bundle" in step 10 and choose another prefix - copy scribus/scribus to /absoute/path/to/Scripus.app/Contents/MacOS/scribus
other problems that might occur
- First of all the compiler, for me g++-4.0 didn't work so I had to symlink /usr/bin/g++ to /usr/bin/g++3
- Qt 3.3.4 can be found as binary package at http://naranja.umh.es/~atg/software.html
- Python might miss the /usr/lib/libpython2.3.a the solution is a symlink to /usr/lib/libpython2.3.dylib
- Some dialogs don't have a close button, ESC usually works though.
- Preferences and About dialogs are now in menu "scribus"!
- This is by design. It's done automatically by Qt to fit MacOS/X interface standards. "NOTABUG".
- <fill in yourself>