Installing from SVN on Mac OS X
|Installation • Usage • PDF issues • Imposition • Other|
This document outlines the build process for Scribus 1.3.5 or higher from CVS/SVN. This is an official Scribus Team document and as such is the currently support build preference on OSX/Aqua and is also subject to a different licence to the rest of the wiki. This does not currently outline the processs for packaging and bundling Scribus (yet).
What we use
- MacPorts (renamed from darwinports in version 1.5)
- Qt from Trolltech
- XCode from Apple
- Scribus SVN
Building and Installing
Steps to build and install Scribus 1.3.5 on OSX/Aqua(tested on Intel only)
- Install X11 (available on the OSX CDs or from the Apple site)
- Install XCode (available on the OSX CDs or from the Apple developer site)
- Install MacPorts (downloadable from www.macports.org)
- Install Qt4 for OSX
- Install a few ports from MacPorts (any dependencies not already installed will be installed automatically)
- Install CMake (sudo port install cmake)
- Install freetype2 (sudo port install freetype). The one included with OSX 10.4.9 is not as good as available from darwinports.
- Install lcms (sudo port install lcms). This will also install jpeg, zlib, tiff
- Install cairo (sudo port install cairo). This will install fontconfig too.
- Install libxml2 (sudo port install libxml2).
- Install subversion (sudo port install subversion), OR optionally install subversion from another source.
- Optionally (recommended) install ghostscript (sudo port install ghostscript)
- Make a directory where you want to download to (eg, in Terminal, mkdir -p ~/scribus/135)
- Change to this directory (cd ~/scribus/135)
- Check out Scribus from SVN
- Make a build directory (mkdir builddir)
- Change to the build directory (cd builddir)
- Run the cmake command: cmake -DBUILD_OSX_BUNDLE=1 -DWANT_CAIRO=1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/Users/username/Applications/Scribus.App/Contents/ ../trunk/Scribus/
- make install
Now you can run Scribus 1.3.5+ from OSX if all has gone well.