QtCreator - workflow for Scribus and Git repository under Linux
This article show how to work with Scribus git repository in QtCreator.
- You have successful installed Scribus git repository on local storage, eg. in ~/ScribusGIT. (Editor: Needs link here how to do that)
- You have QtCreator installed as well.
Where to Start
- First of all I am suggesting to make separate folder where you will work on code and make all builds and installs without messing up local git repository with building files.
- Create new folder eg.
~/ScribusDEV(or any other naming you use).
- In this folder create subfolders for building purposes:
- Now create a symlink for Scribus source folder (
~/ScribusGIT/Scribus) like so:
ln -s ~/ScribusGIT/Scribus ~/ScribusDEV/Scribus
- Now create (we're still within
~/ScribusDEV) 2 shell scripts. The scripts will be used in QtCreator as your own building steps:
Let see how these scripts look in my case:
The "building" script
#!/bin/sh -e cd builddir cmake ../Scribus -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=~/Scribus_install -DWANT_DEBUG=0 -DWANT_GRAPHICSMAGICK=1 -DWANT_VERSIONING=0 make -j4 make install -j4
The "debug" script
#!/bin/sh -e cd debugdir cmake ../Scribus -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=../install -DWANT_DEBUG=1 -DWANT_GRAPHICSMAGICK=1 -DWANT_VERSIONING=0 make -j4 make install -j4
Note: In my case I have quad core processor, so I put -j4 switch for faster compilation. Use -jN switch if you have processor with N threads.
Setup Qt-Creator Project
Now you are ready to set up the QtCreator project.
- run QtCreator and open project ~/ScribusDEV/Scribus/Scribus.pro
- go to "Projects"
- for release build configuration:
- set "Build directory" to "~/ScribusDEV/builddir"
- remove all build steps
- in Add Build Step select Custom Process Step, as Command browse to "building" script, as Working directory" set "~/ScribusDEV"
- repeat last steps for Debug configuration with "debugdir" instead "builddir" and "debug" script instead "building"
Now you can test if your develop environment is working: try to build Scribus in QtCreator.
Last thing to do is to exclude "Scribus.pro.user" file created by QtCreator from git repository so it will not be show as untracked file.
- Edit the
~/ScribusGit/.git/info/excludefile and add a line entry that contains: