Right font 4 right purpose
|Installation • Usage • PDF issues • Imposition • Other|
The following list should provide an overview of free and non-free fonts known to behave well on screen and/or in print. Anyone is invited to add his favourite fonts and comment on his experience with them. If you don't feel like playing with the table entries, just hit the Discussion tab and describe your fonts in plain text, and other users will insert an table row for you, then.
The table columns and their meaning:
- Font Repository -- Source of fonts and link if applicable
- Fonts -- List of included font families and/or faces
- Quality/Suitability -- What quality level the fonts are at and what they are well suited for, eg pro printing, home printing. Generally 'pro' - ie professional printing on RIPs - can be assumed to include less demanding uses too.
- Known issues? -- Any problems that may occur. Most fonts with any known problems should simply be avoided, but sometimes there are valid reasons to use them anyway - so long as you know there may be consequences.
- Coverage -- Notes about the fonts' glyph coverage and, if known, encoding.
- Licensing -- Extremely brief licensing/availability/conditions and licensing link where possible. E.g. "free," "free for non-commercial use," "commercial"
- Comments -- Any additional information you consider important
|Font Repository / Font Family /Link||Fonts||Type||Quality/Suitability||Known issues?||Encoding & Coverage||Licensing||Comments
|Lido||?||OTF or TTF||Pro quality||Latin-1 / ISO-8859-1?||No cost for non-commercial use|
|Artifex Ghostscript TTF||A028, A030, Antique Olive, Century Schoolbook, URW Clarendon, Coronet, Dingbats, Garamond, Letter Gothic, Mauritius, Nimbus, U001, U001 Condensed, URW Bookman, URW Chancery, URW Classico, URW Gothic, URW Palladio||TTF||Pro quality||?||Latin-1 / ISO-8859-1?||Free||Includes URW fonts shipped with most Linux distros, but also some additional font families, like URW Classico and a Garamond. Donated by URW.|
|CorelDraw fonts||? (lots)||TTF, PS||Mixed. The bitstream fonts are pro quality.||Some inferior quality fonts included, be careful.||Unknown||Commercial||Includes some high quality Bitstream fonts. Copies of Corel Draw can often be picked up cheap, but these fonts are in no way free.|
|Gentium fonts||Gentium||?||Pro||?||Unicode3, see here for more details||Free||See the samples|
|Other SIL fonts||Doulos, Nastaliq, Apparatus, Dai Banna, Encore, Sophia, Manuscript, Galatia, Ezra SIL, Tai Dam, Vai, Xishuangbanna, Yi,||Mixed||?||?||Mixed||Mixed||A fairly varied collection with lots of scripts covered.
|Antykwa Toruńska fonts||?||Type1, TTF, OTF||?||?||Unicode, QX, cp1250, StandardEncoding, Cyrillic, Greek||Free||Mainly used for typesetting of small prints.
|UnFonts||UnBatang, UnBom, UnDotum, UnGraphic, UnGungseo, UnJamoBatang, UnJamoDotum, UnJamoNovel, UnJamoSora, UnPen, UnPenheulim, UnPilgi, UnShinmun, UnTaza, UnYetgul||TTF||?||?||Korean?||Free - GPL. IMPORTANT: See FSF on the GPL and fonts. Caution is advised when using these in documents you don't want to license under the GPL.||While the project page is listed as pre-alpha, the fonts are >= 1.0 and seem solid.
|MS Core TrueType fonts||Andale, Arial, MS Comic Sans, Courier, Georgia, Impact, Times, Trebuchet, Verdana, Webdings||TrueType||Pro||Webdings can cause issues, but should be handled OK by Scribus.||Largely latin-1||Free download. details.||
|Antykwa Półtawskiego TTF Type1||Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic||TrueType, Type 1||Pro quality||?||QX||Free||Polish traditional font, English description,font preview. For more well designed Polish free fonts refer to this Polish TeX User Group font website.|
|Linux Libertine||Regular, Bold, Italic, Bold Italic, Underlined, Bold Underlined||TrueType, OpenType||?||Bug 4422||western latin, greek, cyrillic, IPA, see comparisson at wikipedia||GPL and OFL||
Here you can find information about other possible sources of fonts and links to information about fonts.