Stupid reasons we use Scribus
Tell other users about the unusual things you do with Scribus -- only the sky is the limit :)
Here is a use case the developers probably never thought of...
My son wanted to make a Pinewood Derby car for Cub Scouts that looks like the track. I had some sticker paper, so I made a sticker that looked like the track. I can't imagine how else I would have gotten layed out just the way I wanted it.
Oh, and another one, for my other son's birthday party, his party was at a Chocolate factory, so we made aprons...
I have used Scribus to make birthday invitations for my daughter the last two years.
Each is two scribus pages, printed duplex. I scanned in her drawings and used some Open ClipArt on one of them. The hardest part was figuring out how to place the pieces so that the inside writing was on the inside right and right-side up. Scribus' guides and precise placement made it a snap to put together even with a bit of trial and error.
Making envelopes -- should be rather mundane and simple, but it's surprising how difficult it is to do with oowriter or abiword (to name two examples of my failures).
Scribus makes it quite easy; I don't bother to make a custom size page, I just use letter paper, put some grid lines to line up text boxes, fill in the contents, rotate the text box and that's it. So I don't forget how to use it, I add an instructional non-printing text frame that tells how to insert the envelope into the printer.
Example: for my Photosmart printer, it says, "This will print with the photosmart printer, which feeds to the right, face down, return address end of the envelope first."
After that, I just save the file, and reuse it, using Story Editor to alter the contents.
Paper CD wallets
Paper CD wallets - lay 'em out, print 'em out, score with dead biro, cut 'em out, fold 'em, glue 'em - hey presto, beautiful and economical homemade CD wallets.
Our company needed a way to tag the ads with a type of version, through IRC I discovered that scribus can do this by python scripts. A script was developed(based off of legende.py, included in scribus as an example script). So now before an ad gets sent to a customer, they are prepared with a stamp to identify it. This stamp takes the form of the file path to the image itself. This works out nicely as the ads are already in a hierarchical order of <companyname><bookname><adtype_adsize_adclassification>. The only editing that is to be done is already done through the modified python script.
This has proved to be a great boon for us, as now when the customer replys with changes, they no longer need to send all sheets, but rather the ad, and we can tell which book and which ad exactly.(this helps, because they would never send all the sheets anyways, which make it necessary for us to call and call and call to get all sorts of clarification)
(as to why this was difficult before, we run five books - some customers run the same ad in each book, so it used to be quite difficult and required alot of communication between the company and the customer to determine what changes they wanted to what ad in what book, as a result this has effectively reduced alot of time and overhead that used to be present.) We publish YellowPages.
(an added benifit is that scribus provides an excellent pre-flight for us. In the old process the ads would be built, printed, sent to customers, then pagenated. When we would do the pagenation, we would run into many problems with the ads, such as stray text objects outside the borders (non visible ones), fonts not properly embedded into the eps, etc...; however, now with the new process of , built, set in scribus and printed, sent to customers, then pagenation. We now catch all those errors when we do the placement in scribus. This has drastically increased the speed with which we are able to do the pagenation as the pagenator does not have to correct the errors that used to occur.)
ads built in: illustrator; pre-flight: scribus; pagenation: indesign.