How Can I Help
An interaction on IRC the other day:
honestly... if you can code c++ this is a dream project it's the only software of its kind it's professional grade and there's 12000 bugs you can be busy for the rest of your life imagine if this software picks up a big customer/client and they want to put it on 1000 machines and you're an expert on it and know the codebase its either indesign, ms pub, or this quark is dead right? for software my computer can't even run scribus is one bug fixing iteration, a feature iteration, and a ux iteration, away from being really solid i take it 1.5 is the first one of these you guys have to get it solid on ubuntu and fedora though that would be priority imo
A list of tasks
- Migrate Python Scripts to Scripter2
- Indic RTL script (link aggregation of all related bugs in one place)
- help review and test new features (new importer)
- Write documentation for new import formats
- Better seamless updates of the git repos with the svn so the devs that use git don't need to be concerned and jump right in to their work.
- Get MrScribe (IRC bot) to post links to mantisBT if referenced in #scribus freenode
- Create documentation on how to compile the scribus documentation (scribus-doc folder)
Expand this pane to view the Current Roadmap
For the latest developments and release plans see: Scribus 1.5.0 Release Schedule. Both documents should be considered to be communicating pipes.
|Warning:||Timestamp for 1.5.0svn was 2007-12-30 00:59 CET (re-apply this once 1.5.0 release happens Kunda (talk))|
Legend Status Column:
|work hasn't started yet|
|work in progress|
|Tabbed view for multiple documents||DONE||(mecirt)|
|Embedding of pixmaps in SLA files||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Rewrite preferences load and save functions||DONE||(cbradney)|
|Rewrite preferences GUI||DONE||(cbradney)|
|Move files around in the svn tree ... gui to gui subdir, docs out of source tree etc.||DONE||(cbradney)||8071|
|Merge gradient, pattern and solid colour management||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Better handling of locked standard palettes||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Improvements to colour support in the Barcode Generator||DONE||(fschmid)||6781|
|Some render frame code refactoring||DONE||(Herm)|
|Gradients and patterns as strokes||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Support for PDF 3D annotations||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Object "symbols" as in Illustrator||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Add missing PDF Forms features||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Editable inline frames||DONE|
|More PDF/X export options (X-1a, X-4)||DONE||(Mentor: pierremarc)|
|Cursor positioning bugs||DONE||(avox, pierremarc)||3157|
|Integration of GSoC project: Picture Browser||DONE||(pierremarc, fschmid)|
|^ GSoC project:Uniconvertor + GraphicsMagick||DONE||(Herm, jghali)|
|^ GSoC project:PDF/X-1a and X4 export||DONE||(jghali)|
|^ GSoC project:ScripterNG||IN PROGRESS||(ale, jainbasil)|
|^ GSoC project:XPress Tag import||IN PROGRESS||(jainbasil, fschmid)|
|^ GSoC project:ScripterNGUnified loader||Status?||(Chelen)||11626|
|Enhancements to the Documentation||IN PROGRESS||6058|
|Rewrite the Properties Palette||IN PROGRESS||(jghali)|
|Undo bugs||IN PROGRESS||5745|
|Rewrite of Search and Replace||IN PROGRESS||(cezaryece)|
|Import of XPress Tags, IDML files, and InDesign Snippets||IN PROGRESS||(jainbasil, fschmid)|
|Import filter for external gradient formats (SOG, AI etc.)||IN PROGRESS||(fschmid) (GGR DONE)|
|Add in Status Bar info strings (perhaps not in GUI till 1.5.1)||IN PROGRESS||(cbradney, fschmid, a.l.e)|
|(Related): Indicate the number of selected items in the Status Bar||DONE||(fschmid))|
|Support for more colour palette formats||IN PROGRESS||(fschmid) (ACO, ACB DONE)|
|Reuse and save gradients (including SGR and SLA)||(fschmid)||11564|
|Performance with large amounts of text present||IN PROGRESS||Assigned to avox, mecirt, cezaryece|
|Performance with large bitmap files||DONE||(external developer)|
|Save bitmap data in SLA files||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Make edit-in-frame more usable?||DONE||I know, use SE - but that's not very useful when making hyphenation corrections etc.|
|Control hyphenation as part of paragraph style|
|Maximum inter-word spacing control, or "willingness to hyphenate" control||IN PROGRESS||assigned to cezaryece|
|Bullet support in paragraph styles||DONE||102|
|Hyphenation improvements||IN PROGRESS||assigned to cezaryece||417|
|Text refinements||IN PROGRESS||assigned to cezaryece||415|
|Non-Latin support||IN PROGRESS||(external developers)||1547, 1079|
|Cursor placement fixes (so cursors know more about tabs, columns, alignment etc)||DONE||3157|
|Related to inheritable paragraph styles: [363 limited styles]||IN PROGRESS||(cezaryece) ...presumably with a 'next-style' attribute. Think 'first paragraph' styles, etc.|
|Ability to create TOC and Indexes||IN PROGRESS||assigned to cezaryece TOC Done||3349|
|Support for footnotes and endnotes||DONE||assigned to cezaryece|
|Add Character Styles to the Text Filter|
|ODT and HTML export for text frames using Qt's QTextDocumentWriter|
|Orphans and widows control||DONE||assigned to cezaryece|
|Text Variables||DONE||assigned to cezaryece|
|Anchored text frames||assigned to cezaryece|
|Language-based typographic options||IN PROGRESS||assigned to cezaryece|
|Cross references (text and images)||DONE||assigned to cezaryece|
|Text Validator (automatic removement of double empty spaces etc.)||IN PROGRESS||assigned to cezaryece|
|Unlinking text frames while leaving text content in its respective frame||DONE||assigned to cezaryece|
|Auto-adjustment of text frames||IN PROGRESS||assigned to cezaryece; (vertical shrinking DONE)|
|Fix style import from another scribus doc + styles management during copy/paste from another scribus doc||11420 + 11814|
|MS Visio importer||DONE||(fschmid)|
|VIVA XML importer||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Apple PICT Vector import||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Embedding 3D objects in PDFs||DONE||(fschmid)|
|PICT importer (vector, bitmap & text)||DONE||(fschmid)|
|PDF/X-1a & X-4 support GSoC 2009||DONE|
|Updatable Linked Text||IN PROGRESS||(external developer)|
|Imposition plug-in||IN PROGRESS||(foske)|
|Apple PAGES import||IN PROGRESS||(fschmid)|
|epub Exporter||IN PROGRESS||(a.l.e)|
|Calamus Vector Graphics (CVG) import||DONE|
|Investigate the integration of GraphicsMagick for import of new bitmap formats||DONE||(Herm)|
|PDF-in-PDF embedding of placed PDFs on PDF export||DONE||1699 & 1179|
|Warning on missing fonts in placed/imported PDF files||DONE||(fschmid) PDF-based AI DONE||4464|
|Update the text importers to reflect the new text features like footnotes or bullets||IN PROGRESS||(cezaryece)|Integrate UniConvertor. This would enable Scribus to import CorelDRAW 7-X4 (CDR/CDT/CCX/CDRX/CMX), Adobe Illustrator up to version 9 (PostScript based), Computer Graphics Metafile (CGM), Skencil/Sketch/sK1 (SK and SK1) and Acorn Draw (AFF) files.DONE (Note that UniConvertor is currently being rewritten from scratch. Also, as of v. 1.5 Scribus has its own AI and CGM importers, and libcdr has moved well past UniConvertor, so it would probably be better to integrate libcdr.)
|Better Selection for Copying||DONE||2777|
|Add margin 'skipping' support for facing pages||DONE||2683|
|Enhancements to canvas (text frames show column markers, better frame control options)||DONE|
|New Start-up Dialog for new users on launch||DONE||1709|
|Selection improvements: Multiselection in items Overview||DONE||502|
|Selection improvements: Object selection with Ctrl||DONE||505|
|Selection improvements: Un-prompted object resizing||DONE||506|
|Selection improvements: Object creation and resize with aspect/angle constraint||DONE||390|
|Improve the drag code so its sane and familiar for users of other layout apps||DONE||1907|
|Responsiveness during long operations. Separate UI thread, progress bars?||DONE|
|Shortcut profiles, e.g. "for Adobe users", "for XPress users"||IN PROGRESS||(iCalamus, PagePlus and PageStream DONE)|
|Boolean Object methods (like Inkscape etc)||DONE||(fschmid)|
|New vector objects. spirals and arcs||DONE||(fschmid)|
|Allow more options for clipping paths to shape text||DONE||(fschmid)||1564|
|ScripterNG cleanup and finishing||IN PROGRESS||(ale, jainbasil)|
|Working PyQt for Scripter (see Using Qt from the Python interface)||IN PROGRESS|
|Scripter functions enhancements (hangs together w/ "Scribus Objects via Scripter"||IN PROGRESS|
- Asynchronous or independently threaded Python execution (qt will provide a lot of this for free without requiring real threads ... if it can be made to work) (see patches in Using Qt from the Python interface) IN PROGRESS
|Tables rewrite/feature enhancement||DONE|
|Re-write the bookmarks code||IN PROGRESS||(cezaryece)|
|Make installation on OS X (PPC & Intel) as easy as on Windows & Linux||DONE|
|"Weld items" feature||DONE||(cezaryece)|
|Update the Barcode Generator||DONE||(external developer, jghali)|
|"Snap to item" feature||DONE|
|Documentation updates for the Scribus file formats, the API and the Scripter||IN PROGRESS|Ability to clone frames like Inkscape can, allowing, for example, text frames on various layers to have the same size and attributes, except different content (eg layers for various translations of a doc). When one is moved, they all move, when one is resized they all resize etc. .."Linked Layer Objects" ? #1704 (fschmid)DONE
- Make Scribus "headless" (i.e., allow for the development of a server version)
- New file format and DTD, 100% XML compliant #111 (avox, malex, jghali, fschmid) IN PROGRESS
- New Colour Storage Format with various options eg, index, name, number, rgba, cmyk, spots, etc. See New Colours Format
- Database publishing (with support of popular SQL databases both open source like MySQL, PostgreSQL and proprietary systems like Oracle/IBM DB2 as well as XQuery)
- New non modal Resource Manager dialog IN PROGRESS
- Improvements to Master Pages (avox, jghali) IN PROGRESS
Drop shadows for items (fschmd)DONE
- Rewrite the SVG import/export code
- Unified Export dialog for all file formats, including more export options for non-PDF files e.g. EPS, SVG, TIFF). CorelDraw does this exceptionally well.
- Add more export options (IDML, PUB, ODT etc.)
- Create the transparency flattener
- Text import filter for TextMaker (TMD) files (the company owner has offered to let a developer look at the TM source code to figure out what is needed to create a text import filter).
- Import of complete OpenDocument word processing (ODT) documents
XPS/OXPS export/import (fschmid)DONE
- Investigate what other file formats from the wish list could be imported. IN PROGRESS
- Preserve fonts when we import a PDF into Scribus.
- Convert PDF text in real Scribus text block when we import a PDF into Scribus.
- New file open and save dialog class to handle multiple file location options, e.g. local, NFS, kio, WebDAV. These would be used in import and export plugins, SLA open/save, get/save text functions. They would pass a stream pointer/filename etc to the resulting plugin for the operation. *#1693
- Enhancements to the PostScript Importer:
- Fill patterns
- Type3 fonts; vector/bitmaps
- Honour fill rule for clipping
- Add WordPerfect Importer #3589 IN PROGRESS
- Add RTF Importer/Exporter
- Investigate the use of libabiword and AbiWord filters for import of formatted text, as it would provide about 30 new text formats that could be imported. IN PROGRESS
- Import of CLS, EPS and AI symbol libraries for CorelDraw/Illustrator
- Import of XML files like DocBook or InDesign Tagged Text
- Rewrite the Story Editor
- Support for OpenType alternate glyphs #1413
- Support for all types of digital printing devices
- Tool to create 3D preview to see leaflet and brochure "in real" and save it in *.tif or print it. Useful to present the graphic concept to the client.
- Option to print PostScript errors #1441
- RGB profiled export for bubblejets (Note: CMYK for PDF-X/3 only!) #1697, 1271 (jghali)
- Add Support for DeviceGray and Indexed Colors #3540 (jghali) PARTIALLY DONE
- Preflight Enhancements #4569
- Access to the Scribus core from Python outside of Scribus GUI/scripter. (DCOP? CORBA/XML-RPC?) #1675
- Font preview in font selectors
- Enhancement to Scratch Space #1989
GSOC 2014 Wish List
Expand this pane to view the
GSOC 2014 Wishlist
Reference Proposals: Wordpress's 2014 Proposal
This is the place for ideas regarding the future GSOC 2015. They have been sorted by difficulty:
- Simple means that choosing one idea won't be enough, and an applicant needs to tackle at least three of those to be considered.
- In the category Medium at least two ideas must become part of a potential GSOC project.
- Picking up an idea from the High category could be enough to qualify, although it may be necessary to add an idea from Simple.
- Demanding will be definitively enough for a single project, but applicants need to prove their skills before they can be considered.
- TBD ("to be determined") is a category which will take some investigation to decide its difficulty, and also means that it can be reassigned once this is determined.
- Fix bugs in existing import filters.
- CVS importer for Scribus tables.
- Create an import filter for InCopy ICML files, which are a subset of IDML. Renaming ICML to IDML or IDMS works already partially (font substitution).
- Rewrite/update the SXD and ODG importers.
- Rewrite/update the SXW and ODT importers.
- Update the Text Filter code to reflect the new features of Scribus.
- Create ODT export filter for formatted text.
- Clean up the UI of the Picture Browser and add tooltips.
- Fix the XTG importer.
- Improve the Table functionalities.
- Add XMP metadata support.
- Create an iTunes/iPod-like page selector with page preview (example) for Scribus documents, multi-page file import and perhaps the template dialog (preview only). Not too difficult with Qt – there used to be a prototype for Scribus by Pierre Marchand.
- Create RTF import and export filters (formatted text only).
- Update/improve the existing export filters for SVG and EPS and integrate them with PDF, XPS, as well as the supported bitmap formats into a single export dialog.
- Debug and fix style management during page import and copy and paste from one doc to another.
- Create a feature-rich online importer for Google Fonts and Open Font Library.
- Add support for Symbol Libraries from common vector drawing programs (most importantly Illustrator, but also CorelDraw, Xara Designer, Visio, perhaps even CAD formats).
- User-defined kerning tables for fonts
- PDF/A, PDF/E, and PDF/X-5 exporter.
- Create import filters for SXC and ODS spreadsheet files.
- Create import filters for XLS and XLSX spreadsheet files.
- Add support for HarfBuzz text shaping, so that advanced typographic features for European languages, including in many OTF fonts, and non-Latin writing systems with complex shaping (eg, Arabic, Indic etc) and bidirectional typography (eg, Hebrew, Arabic, etc) are available to users.
- Add support for CJK typesetting.
- Rewrite the Story Editor.
- Colour-managed bitmap export (including spot colours).
- Rewrite the styles structures and the styles management.
- Including: Nested Styles.
- Including: Creating a style from formatted text.
- Rewrite the Colour Palette/Swatch code to support real CIE L*a*b* colours and add import filters for CIE L*a*b* swatches (e.g. current Adobe Swatches or BCS files).
- Add paragraph-based typographic optimisation and an option to switch between line-based and paragraph-based.
- Rewrite/fix the direct-to-printer "Print" code to avoid the failures often encountered by users.
- Add support for libmwaw to enable import of Mac OS-related formatted text formats.
- IDML export.
- Finally finish the IDML importer. With many people looking for alternatives to InDesign, we miss an opportunity to catch them with this.
- The IDML importer already works astonishingly well and only needs some tweaks, at least as regards features Scribus already supports. "Finishing" will be an impossible task unless Scribus tries not only to copy every feature of InDesign, but also to behave identically. This is neither feasible nor desirable. --C schaefer (talk) 07:57, 3 December 2013 (CET)
- Python script repository
- Creating a python script repo
- UI for accessing scripts via Scribus (think this exists already)
- Spiffy 'ReadTheDocs' type of manual on how to code Scribus python scripts with screenshot examples for each script
- Perhaps use a github gist model: http://mattikus.github.io/pygist/
- Think about migrating away from MantisBT
- Move away from the barred entry access of the bugracker (example: where users need to write for permission to open an account - unless there some psychology around why this is set up like this)
- Better captcha support
- Support different authentication schemes, oauth with gitbub, bitbucket, stackexchange etc..
- Integrated wiki in to bug tracker. (Separate from main site)
- Autogenerated roadmap and with wiki integration so no need to manually edit wiki Roadmap pages
- Support for 3rd party services like:
- Possible solutions:
- The Bug Genie
- Create a template repo where users can share and collaborate on templates
- Replace scribusstuff.org as the go to resource for scribus related templates etc...
- Utilizing a Continuous Integration software like Jenkins
- The builds could be set to build bi-monthly and ideally would contain all supported platforms (example: Gimp)
- Automatic building of different linux packages
- Automatic building & upload of release ZIP's
- Run tests on more platforms (Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, Ubuntu)
- The possibility to automagically builds docs from the code ?
- The builds could be set to build bi-monthly and ideally would contain all supported platforms (example: Gimp)
- can this script be useful at all ? gif animation latex generator
- Online Code Reviewer