Scribus 1.3.5 Released
After almost 2 years of intensive work, the Scribus Team is proud to announce the release of Scribus 1.3.5. This release is a major development version on the road to milestone 1.4, which will be based on 1.3.5.
Following many testing cycles, the Scribus Team considers this version to be fairly stable and ready for many real-world use cases. For example, the cover of the Official Scribus Manual has been created with a release candidate of 1.3.5. However, since there are still some rough edges, more cautious users may want to prefer to stick with the officially stable series 1.3.3.x, which will see its final bugfix release soon.
The Scribus Team will continue to implement new features and improvements in a new experimental branch. Once tested and confirmed as working flawlessly, they will be backported and become part of the 1.4 milestone.
In comparison to the latest developer release, Scribus 1.3.5 provides the following major changes and enhancements:
- 1.3.5 is based on Qt 4 (the minimum required to run 1.3.5 is Qt 4.4.0)
- A native OS X version, available as DMG file (Universal Binary)
- Improved menu integration with OS X
- Large parts of the canvas and text code have been rewritten
- A new frame type called Render Frames, which allows for rendering markup languages like LaTeX or POV-Ray inside Scribus
- Added import filters for the following vector formats: Adobe Illustrator, Xfig, WMF
- Added import filters for colour palettes, including allowing palette import from EPS/AI files
- Major improvements to the handling of solid colours, as well as new colour palettes
- Drag and drop improvements
- PDF 1.5 presentation effect support
- Optional embedding of PDF and EPS files
- Transform effects for items
- Path tools for shapes
- Added more additional default shapes, line patterns and arrowheads
- A new line editor for custom line styles
- A new Quick Start Guide in the Help Browser, as well as other major updates and enhancements to the online help
- Significant enhancements to existing features like the Scrapbook, the Image Manager or the Font Preview
Primary Download Location
Windows and Mac OSX installers, as well as the source code are available here:
Further Download Options
- Upstream Debian/Ubuntu repo: http://debian.scribus.net
- Fedora 10, 11 RPMS: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs
- OpenSUSE 11.0+ and SLED RPMs: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs
- Mandriva 2009 RPM*: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Mandriva_2009/
. A package for 2009.1 is not yet available because of a dependency issue.
sha1sum scribus-126.96.36.199.tar.bz2 654f68f7651697de480c43ad8e1875e5284c8ec1
sha1sum scribus-188.8.131.52.7z ae278e2bec8d402117849373e10877ec63ce8655
The Scribus Team would like to thank Anduin.net/Øverby Consulting for their continued hosting of all of the Scribus websites.
As of July 2009, the Scribus Team is also pleased to welcome Resene Colours (New Zealand) and Marabu-Druckfarben (Germany) as Special Supporters and donors of colour palettes, most of which will become part of the 1.4 release.
Finally, the Scribus Team would like to thank the many end users, translators, testers and contributors who helped us with this important release.